Thursday, March 3, 2011

I miss her most at night


The night is still, the world has slowed down.
The cars are quiet, the kids are silent.
Peace has come upon the night, the day winds down.
Yet in the vast field of night, something is missing.
What is this my heart so desires?
While it is present, it is yet far away.
While it is here, it is absent.
While it is strong, it is yet a whisper in wind.
It is the voice telling my heart, I am here.
It is the invisible touch brushing my shoulder.
It is right beside me, yet unseen.
The thing missing is her.

One mile or forty miles, this shall not matter.
The distance seems like light years.
Yet while she is far, she is near.
She is the invisible smile beside me, the skip in my step.
The lips telling me its ok, we are almost there.
It's the sound of a future mother, the sound of a wife.
The voice of a confidant, the voice of a friend.
The calm to my storm, the up to my down, the wind in my sail.
Yet still I miss her as the evening falls upon this place.

But yet my heart jumps out and says do not fear! These months shall soon be days shall soon be hours. The bridge is shortening, the gap is growing ever smaller. The day shall soon be upon us when two shall become one. There will be no me, no you, just us. Not two halves, but one whole. No more what should I, but what should we. No more self. A new creation better than the parts. Joined by God for a new purpose. A new calling. A new journey. No more chains of distance, no more good-byes, no more until tomorrow. Only today and now! Every minute, every second cherished, loved, embraced.

So therefore thine heart, do not worry. This thing that He has founded & blessed shall not be harmed. Shall not be discouraged. Shall not be feared. For again, who is stronger than He? Tests, trials, distance, roads, miles, loneliness, hurts, tears? Worry not on these things, for they are all under his feet.

So my soul, remember this: even though she is missed in the evening, she is here. She is the presence you feel beside you as you fall into sleep. She is the unseen embrace as you unwind from the day. She is that constant you always feel, but cannot explain. Most importantly, she is the love you feel. The love you sense, the love that bridges the gap between the here and now. The omnipresent love from now until all eternity.

Listen to me, my heart, as you lie down on thy pillow. Let your longing be lifted knowing she is not gone but right here. Right here.

- Mark

3 comments:

  1. Oh..my....I have tears streaming down my face. Beautiful words Mark. We love you and are so so thankful for you in all of our lives:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read it like 6 times : )

    -liz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim - Thank you for the kind words. I love y'all too!

    Liz - Aww that's so cool babe. You are such an amazing woman. I love you!!

    - Mark

    ReplyDelete