Tuesday, March 2, 2010

What I am thankful for

Mark here. Was trying to think of a blog topic and then I suddenly starting feeling really blessed. I thought: I should talk about all the things I am thankful / blessed to have. Good sometimes to just sit back and realize how much God has blessed us.
So here is a list of things I am thankful for:

Jesus Christ - First off, Jesus Christ, God, and the Holy Spirit. Without him, my life would not be the same. I try everyday to put him first in my life, and am thankful that he forgives me when I fail at that task many a time. Quite often as a Christian, we fail him & fall on our face. This happens more than we like to admit. But the reason God is #1 is that everytime we fall into that pit, we can know that as we look up his hand is always there to pick us back up. As my Sunday School teacher reminded us recently, nothing we can do will make him love us any less or more. From the moment we are saved, from that day forward, we can receive his full and wonderful love everyday. Praise be to him!

Liz - A new addition to the list but wow what an addition! I love this girl with all my heart and mind, and now I can't imagine life with her. She is my rock and my constant from day to day. She is the most amazing, beautiful, sweet, caring, loving, smart girlfriend I could ask for and is better than I could ever imagine is possible. Will expand on Liz in a future post to come soon....because otherwise this section would be really, really long : )

My family - All my family is amazing but this goes out especially to Mom, Dad, Tim, and Nikki. I love you guys more than I can ever express. I have gotten so used to having such a great family....that I forget not everyone has such good luck. They have been there through the good and bad (and good and bad jokes lol), and I am so grateful for them. As I think on this, sending special prayers out to those whose family situations are not so great and praying God puts a special hand on those people.

Friends - To all my friends, I am so grateful for being with me for the laughing and the crying....and the craziness and stupidity lol. From the friends I've had since high school, to my church friends, to work friends, to new friends, to Facebook/Twitter friends even! Everyone has meant something to me in their own special way, and I am so thankful for all of them. Wouldn't trade them for anything!

The Byrd family - Even though I have know them only a short time, they have been a blessing in my life. And this even though I have only met 4 out of the 6 on Skype lol. (James & Liz are the lucky in person members!) I can see the love of family and the love of the Lord in their lives, and can't wait to meet the Greg, Kim, Lottie, and Emma in real life someday soon!

America - I think people, like myself, who have lived in the USA their whole life forget how great we have it. Are we are a perfect country? Of course not. But I love this country and don't have any urge to leave. I heard Rush Limbaugh say once that can you think of many other country that has only been around 230 years....and risen to such a position as ours. Does that mean other nations are bad or that you can't live wonderful lives in another country? Again of course not. But for me, I am proud to be an American! As an American, I love our Constitution, Bill of Rights, democracy, freedom (religion, speech), voting, political discourse, and natural beauty. I'm sure I am forgetting some things, but those are some reasons.

Church - I am so grateful for First Baptist, the worship experienced there, and all the people I have met throughout the years. From friends to Sunday School teachers to just random church members....and of course the love of my life, Liz : ). I have been in different classes with different teachers and all have blessed me in their own unique way. Each and every service, worship time, musical etc is a gift from God. And also to the churches I have visited over the years, thank you for your blessings of worship.

And for now for some things I am thankful for that are little more light hearted:
Disney & Walt Disney World - How can you not love Disney World?!
Disney fan community - From websites, to podcasts, to books, to magazines...all informative and some of the nicest people you will meet in the online universe.
TV - While I understand how it has led to less exercise, less social interaction etc....man there are some good shows!
Sports - Something to watch/experience that requires no thought if you so desire.
Free roads - I have to take two toll roads to get into Rockwall. Weak.
Air conditioning - Two words: Texas summer

That's all I got for now. Hope you enjoy. Swof out.

1 comment:

  1. You are a blessing in our life as well Mark. We cannot wait for the day that we get to spend some time with you in person! What a wonderful list you have made....we really have so much to be thankful for and God has blessed us.

    ReplyDelete